Smaller eastern Oregon schools wanting to end Season 4 on May 31

WILSONVILLE, OR – The upcoming Season 4 (basketball, wrestling, swimming) will end the season on June 13 after a vote by the Oregon School Activities Association Executive Board on Monday, May 3.

Prior to the vote, OSAA Director Peter Weber announced a survey had been sent to all Oregon schools asking for guidance on an ending date for the season. A total of 209 responses were received with 65 percent of the schools advocating for an ending date of June 13. The remaining 35 percent were in favor of the season ending May 31.

Of the schools responding, 40 percent plan on going forward with swimming while 20 percent will cancel the swim season. The remaining schools do not offer swimming.

64 percent of the schools surveyed plan on a wrestling season and 11 percent will not hit the mats. 25 percent do not currently offer wrestling.

Basketball will be played statewide as 95 percent of the schools planning on hitting the courts for Season 4. The remaining 5 percent will sit out the season.

The breakdown of the classifications included in the survey is as follows:

                1A           31.58%

                2A           18.66%

                3A           11.48%

                4A           11.96%

                5A           11.00%

                6A           15.31%

Discussing the survey, Weber informed the board schools representing the 1A ranks were split on an ending date for the season. He went on to state a Memorial Day ending date was popular among the 1A schools in eastern Oregon.

Easternoregonsports.com requested a copy of the survey, a request denied by the OSAA. We did receive six pages of the 51-page document showing the above information. Individual school’s responses were not included in the pages received.