This article brought to you by Malheur Realty (541) 889-5800.
We do not envy the commission of the OSAA looking at the redistricting of football leagues. This is a thankless task, one where someone will be unhappy. We wish the commission the best of luck.
That said, we present the two proposals currently under consideration for 4A football. We have tried our best to break down the information into decipherable data. We will continue this process with the 3A, 2A, and 1A proposals. The information is so cumbersome we decided to break the information down for separate articles for each division.
Crook County Cowboys – Population 603
La Grande Tigers – Population 432
Madras White Buffaloes – Population 418
Pendleton Buckaroos -Population 588
Redmond Panthers – Population 804
Ridgeview Ravens – Population 753
The Dalles Riverhawks -Population 511
Baker Bulldogs Population 358
La Grande Tigers Population 432
McLoughlin Pioneers Population 290
Ontario Tigers Population 364
Current League For Football 2021
Crook County-5A playing down to 4A with 1-3 record
La Grande-4A with a 2-1 record
Ontario-4A with a 0-3 record
McLoughlin-4A playing down to 3A (0-3)
Madras-4A with a 2-1 record
Baker-4A with a 1-3 record
Pendleton-5A with a 4-1 record (cooperatives with
Redmond-5A with a 2-1 record
Ridgeview-5A with a 4-1 record
The Dalles-5A with a 1-2 record
Here is what we see:
- This year, Pendleton is ranked sixth in the 5A state rankings. Dropping down to 4A, count on the Buckaroos dominating league play in the five-district proposal.
- La Grande would need to dramatically increase travel budget under the five-district proposal.
- Five current 5A teams would drop down to join two 4A teams under the five-district proposal.
- Much like in recent years, the league is just too small under the six-district proposal. If the OSAA continues to allow teams to drop down after showing the inability to win, count on McLoughlin to again petition to drop to the 3A leaving a league of three. A league of three teams is ridiculous.
- The champion of the league could face teams at the state tournament of schools with 883 students under the five-district proposal. This is double La Grande’s student population.
- The champion of the league could face teams at the state tournament of schools with 514 students under the six-district proposal. MacHi is at 290.
- Making a schedule under the six-district proposal is extremely difficult and playing non-league teams outside the state hurts teams on the Colley ranking. Previous year’s plan on playing each team twice, once league and one non-league was just stupid.
Related: Football Action Photos
Now it is your turn. What did we not mention you think is worth discussing? Which proposal is best for your team and for football in Oregon? Email your suggestions, your complaints, your new plan to [email protected] or contact us on messenger. As this process moves along, we will update the story with your ideas and concerns.